Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Introducing my pride and joy

I ripped a picture out of a magazine years ago of some girl wearing a marching band jacket with jeans and ballet flats. I wanted desperately to emanate the look, but short of stealing a coat from my high school's music wing, I couldn't find any way to do it.

Then, Alexander McQueen did one a few seasons back. And of course the Balmain jacket has become the new Balanciega blazer these days. Naturally, I was craving a piece of the trend more than ever.

I know Forever 21 and every other fast fashion emporium will start carrying them soon enough, but let's be real: I've never been mistaken for a patient person. I got a vest for $5 at New York and Company, bought some gold cording for $2 at the fabric store, and tediously sewed together the little concoction shown above.

I'm super stoked about rocking this over a plain black dress for a night out. The best part? It was way more economical than this number, so I still have a few bucks left over for cocktails.

No comments: