Thursday, July 30, 2009

Geek chic

I went through this phase in London where I really wanted glasses. I kept trying them on everywhere I went, slowly convincing myself they weren't that ridiculous. I wanted to look cool, like this chick Garance Dore photographed, but with darker, squarer frames:

I spent a lot of Friday mornings at Portobello market. There was one particular sunglass stand owned by this hilarious guy who wore those oversized plastic clown glasses and told you exactly what he thought about each pair you tried on.
I probably tried on 20 different pairs one day. He'd give me a thumbs up or thumbs down and throw suggested shades across the tent. We chatted about the pros and cons of living in the UK and American television. He told me if I ever wanted to move there permanently, he'd sponsor me. I told him I'd get back to him on that one.

I put on a pair with clear lenses and slowly peered into the tiny mirror. I kind of loved them, but heard my new found friend and voice of reason say, "No, no. You look too serious in those. Like my doctor. Try these."
He threw another pair over to me.
I bought them and wore them every day in Paris:
£5. Worth every pence. I still occasionally contemplate buying fake glasses, though. Would you?

No comments: