Wednesday, September 15, 2010

When it rains, it pours.

I'm not a huge rain boot fan. They're heavy and clunky and not particularly flattering to your calf size. In theory, they're adorable and perfectly preppy. But often times in execution, they're quite the pain.

I had a pair of striped wellies in high school that did manage to brighten my spirits on gloomy days -- my English teacher routinely paused class to marvel them whenever I incorporated them into my outfit.

A couple years ago I bought a pair of riding-style Hunter's -- I liked their slimmer fit more than the classic boots. They became incomparably useful this past winter, when Pittsburgh was perpetually buried under foot upon foot of snow. (Apparently no one thinks shoveling sidewalks or plowing major roads is important over there.) I wore them nearly every day and, much to my own disbelief, they minimized my cold-weather-wipeouts to just ONCE the whole season! I usually average out around three a day from December to March. This was a big deal. By the end of the season, though, I dreaded pulling them on and off. If you've ever continually worn the same pair of shoes day-in and day-out, you'll know that it's not the most comfortable situation in terms of blisters.

There is something particularly empowering about being able to stomp around town, completely oblivious as to what you're walking through, though. No dodging icy spots, no leaping over puddles. If you've ever considered investing in a pair of Hunter's, I highly encourage the purchase. They are infinitely better than any cheapo things you can buy at Target and I promise you they'll last as long as you need them. My mom has a tremendous olive green pair that she's had forever.

As I recently realized that I can now wear heels whenever I'd like due to my recent suburban re-location, it's also dawned on me that I don't have a huge need for rain boots anymore. Nowadays if the weather is unfortunate, I can find indoor entertainment alternatives. Recently, my time has been focused on re-vamping my bedroom. And when I say re-vamping, I really just mean cleaning it out so all my crap from college fits inside. I'm making slow but steady progress -- last weekend alone provided three bags of trash, two bags for Plato's Closet, and six bags for Goodwill. Not to mention three boxes and some furniture that I put into storage. It's ridiculous how much stuff one can accumulate over the years...
Hunter Women's Huntress Tall Welly Rubber Boot With Wide Calf,Navy,7 M US (5 UK)Hunter Women's Original Tall Welly Gloss Rubber Boot,Turquoise,6 M US (4 UK)



No comments: